Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Weekly Wonder #2: "My Commitment" Volunteer Database from the Clinton Global Initiative

I am sure the Clinton Global Initiative has been given ample publicity in the blogoshpere. What I would like to highlight is the database of volunteer opportunities included within the MyCommitment.org site.

Within what CGI calls the My Commitment 101 Kit is a link to a database that allows one to search for volunteer opportunities by zip code (there are other searches, but the zip code search brings volunteerism close to the reality and doability of home):

[Quote from site] Are you looking for a specific opportunity in your community? Use this form to search our Volunteer Database to find out how teens, groups, seniors and even those looking to volunteer virtually can get involved in their community—once or on an ongoing basis: http://www.mycommitment.org/my-commitment-101/volunteer
I know many of us, me included, have the essence of "I hope to help" floating ever-near. But, we spend more time wishing to help than taking action. The Volunteer Database is a catalyst. In fact, after searching my own zip code, I am not sure I will be able to remain in a state of hoping. The opportunities are now palpable, close. I will now be haunted by the guilt of inaction.

So, YOU....GO NOW....find the people near you who need your help! Again, from the site:

No act of giving is too big or too small. Whether it’s hosting a potluck to raise money for your favorite cause or volunteering with your church group once a month to clean a local park—everyone can give something.

Inside this My Commitment 101 Kit you’ll find everything you need to get started on your commitment, including a database of volunteer opportunities available in communities worldwide, downloadable charity badges to post on your blog or website, 50 tips for improving the world, lists of organizations and groups you might want to join or buy from, and more!

We hope you will invite others to join you on your commitment to better the world and we look forward to hearing your story about giving of your time, of your skills and of yourself.

Happy Giving!

Sincerely,
The MyCommitment.org Team

GO DO!!!

Subscribe to this feedAdd to del.icio.usDigg This!Share on Facebook outside.in: geotag this story Add to Mixx!

No comments: